A metal oxide or hydroxide (base) which is soluble in water (exception: ammonium hydroxide - doesn't contain a metal).
Characteristics of alkalis:
- Alkalis are soluble in water
- Alkalis turn in litmus: blue, in phenolphthalein: pink, in methyl orange: yellow and in bromothymol blue: blue
- Alkalis have a pH of more than 7
- Alkalis conduct electricity when in solution (electrolytes)
- Alkalis have the property to assimilate carbonic acid out of the air
- Alkalis have the property to form soap and glycerin out of oils and fats
- Alkalis are caustic
- Alkalis have a strange acrid taste (don't check out )
- All alkalis contain a reactive hydrogen group(OH).1)
- Alkalis are able to neutralize acids
- Bethell / Coppock, Chemistry Textbook
- wikipedia.de, translated into
GermanEnglish by the author
annotation by the author: At a chemical formula usually at the end.